The number of AIDS cases is rising among Indian women.
In the past ten years the number of Indian AIDS cases has steadily increased from 322 cases in 1991 to 2,996 in 2004 (Centers for Disease Control).
HIV is contracted through:
- sexual contact
- sharing needles for drugs/tattoos with someone who has HIV
- blood transfusion
- pregnant women can pass HIV to their babies before/during birth
and/or when they breast feed
HIV is NOT contracted through:
- shaking hands with or hugging a person who has HIV,
- toilet seats
- insect bites
- and sharing food/dishes with HIV infected person.
You can reduce your risk of contracting the HIV virus by:
- using condoms (latex rubber)
- not sharing needles used for drugs or tattoos
- limiting your number of sex partners
- abstaining from sex
There are currently NO funded HIV/AIDS services specifically targeting Indians in Los Angeles.